While my sister and I were talking about our boys, she confided that her son still sleeps in bed with her, but that is something that she doesn't tell anyone because he is getting to an age where it would be judged. It is so disappointing for that to even be an issue. How come we allow societal norms to dictate our bonding with our children? How can I hold on to the moments with my boys before something becomes socially unacceptable? It made me start appreciating what my boys still do...
My son still holds my hand willingly while we are walking next to each other. He doesn't hesitate or look around to see who is watching him; he just wants that physical closeness with me.
My son crawls on my lap after his nap. He puts his head down on my chest and takes comfort in our snuggles.
My son still cries when his feelings get hurt. He hasn't learned that it isn't macho to cry and he should shove his feelings down deep inside of him.
My son can still play without worrying about gender roles. When he could choose anything he wanted, he chose a Ken doll. And having the wonderful husband I do, he bought it for our son.
My son gives a full out belly giggle when something is funny. He's not too cool to show his emotions and delight.
Per usual, I LOVE this post! It's so true... children are so free and comfortable in their own skin and then society eventually teaches them not to be. And kudos to your sister for continuing to do what feels right for her and her son despite what other people may think. I've been there... heck I feel like I'm always there, LOL, but letting go of that conformity is so, so liberating for me. Anyways, hooray for new posts! :)
ReplyDelete