Thursday, February 2, 2012

Underwear

I remember sitting on my mom's bed while watching her get ready. She would pull up a pair of ratty old underwear. We weren't poor growing up, but we weren't rich either. Every year before school started my sisters and I would get a bunch of new clothes, including a pack of underwear. It never occurred to me to question where the money was coming from or who was going without for me to go with.

Now that I am a mother, it has all become crystal clear. That is what you do. That is what you do, and you don't think twice. That is what you do, and it doesn't even bother you. Being a parent is all about sacrifice. You sacrifice your body, your time, your sleep, even your sanity sometimes, but you do it with pride. All those sacrifices are raising children who feel loved, nurtured, and cared for.

So, yank up those holey granny panties with pride. It is the mark of a loving mother!

3 comments:

  1. bah ha ha ha!!!! This. Is. AWESOME.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweet--and true! (But are you sure you got new clothes before school? Maybe they were just "new" to you...) :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. LMAO But so true! I was just wearing a pair the other day that is only held together on one side by the top pice of elastic. Hate to see what happens when that lets loose :)

    ReplyDelete